Thursday, July 21, 2011

Painting Adventures

I've had a burst of energy lately. Well, more than I have in a long time. After David agreed to look at some used beds for the kids that I found at a consignment store, THEN agreed to buy them, THEN suggested we also buy this couch set, I have really wanted to get the rooms painted.

Violet's room we are painting "misty violet" with a dark purple ceiling. It is looking really good. Violet says "it's pink and purple"... no it's purple and purple lol, I really really don't like the color pink except as an accent color, then it's okay. It's her "princess" room... without the disney princess stickers everywhere. Just lots of girly colors and materials.

Liam's room is a "pirate" or ocean theme... but subtle. No (tacky, in my opinion) pirate stickers and bed sheets. One wall is off white, where I will paint some chalkboards that will be near the boys beds. That has nothing to do with the theme, just want to have that for them. Three grayish blue walls, one super dark blue ceiling (in the same family as the wall color). We will add the glow in the dark stars to the ceiling. Who doesn't love those? But we have another reason to add them as well...

Liam is afraid of the dark. He doesn't care for night lights either (not enough light), so we leave his closet light on. We haven't made a big deal out of it, but I don't want him to be afraid. So my hope is, he'll want to keep the lights off so he can see the stars better (he loves the Solar system as a subject of learning lately).

We'll add other boaty things like a large world map, porthole mirrors, a captains wheel.

SO anyhow I have been working so hard and pushing through lots of exhaustion to get this done. But I'm feeling a bit stressed out now. We still have the edges to do near the ceiling of Violet's room... I need to tape up near the top (or else it will take longer to carefully paint the edges) and my legs aren't working. Just going up and down the ladder, only about 6 times TWO days ago has left my thighs feeling like I did thousands of squats. It surprises me but my arms aren't that sore. Also we have Liam's ceiling and the edges as well. I'm putting off the chalkboard paint until the bunk bed gets here... this way I can paint smaller areas instead of one large one and hoping it will peak out at the right spots for the boys to use it.

On top of that, the house is a disaster. All their toys and the mattress/box spring for Violet's new bed, and clothes are out in our living room. Violet's toddler bed is in our room (converts to a crib) and Violet makes sure we know she is only sleeping on the baby bed one more night. The bunk bed mattresses are in my sewing room for Liam to sleep on. I haven't cleaned all week because I've been painting. I need to wash rugs, sheets, blankets, clothes for tomorrow. Kitchen is a mess, having not been cleaned in nearly a week.

My good friend is coming over with her little girl for a visit tomorrow, to keep me company while I "wait" for the furniture to arrive. I'm going to be so embarrassed by this mess. She is expecting a mess... but I don't think she really has any idea.

The kids also have swimming classes today.

I need to start working. My burst of energy is fading fast. To top it off, Violet got into both rooms today, got into the paint, painted some of the walls, dripped some on the floors, the bathroom sink (I think she attempted to clean herself up).

I was trying to get a good start to my day. I was reading my scriptures to give myself strength to deal with my darling children while I try to get all of these chores accomplished today. It's actually a very good thing I was reading, because when she came to me covered in house paint, I was upset but I didn't yell and scream, and I didn't feel the urge to spank her. I did cry, I did lecture. Oh yes. Luckily David was still home (it was early and he was getting ready for work). He helped me bathe her, while I cleaned the paint off of everything. At least the paint was still wet. It came out fairly easily but still took about 30 minutes to clean it all. And another bright side is she didn't spill any of the cans on the carpet... it was just drips of paint everywhere. The cleaning though, that used a good portion of my energy reserve. Now I sit here procrastinating...

I will cross this off my list before the furniture arrives tomorrow!

1 comment:

Monika said...

Ahhh!! Just reading it made me feel helpless, sad and frustrated!!! LOL kids....you handled it well. :) Awesome rooms you speak of, and yet no pictures. not good!! :) Post!!! Kai's into pirates right now, and also the solar system, how funny!! how have the stars been working?? we have some here too...I hope they're working for him! what a creative mama