A week late, sorry Liam. So we have been working on potty training. After the first two days of intensive training... things took off. We were using a potty chart and Liam got so excited at the end of the day when we could check off that he had used the potty. Then it got kind of annoying. He wanted to use the potty every 20 minutes on average. Sometimes every 5 minutes, sometimes every hour or two. I had to remind myself that this stage isn't forever and it would mean no more diapers... I had to remind myself a lot. Then it slowed down and he could hold it for longer periods of time. Still he only went poo-poo in the potty a few times...and only once because it was his idea. Then he started wetting his diaper a little before deciding he needed to go. Now he wets his diaper all the time and only uses the potty once in a while. It feels like I've gone full circle with this and it's my fault of course. I had started really finding it relaxing that he wasn't asking to use the potty all the time. Really the worse part about that is Violet has to come with us, then she tries to get in the potty, it's just another hassle I don't care to deal with. So poor Liam, his mama needs to get over it. Another part that added to the failure, is Liam got a hold of his potty chart and lost nearly all the little marker/reward magnets...so we stopped using that until I can find them or enough of them, or make new ones.
Other then that this past month has been pretty cool because Liam has started to do pretend play/imaginative play. I read that this will increase more so in the next year, but he's right on track with it. AND he's playing on his own or with Violet, he doesn't need me to be there as much as before, which is quite nice. I love when the two of them are off doing something silly and cracking each other up. Those are the sweetest moments ever.
He's finally used to Nursery, which is a two hour time period during the 3 hours of Church on Sunday. He used to freak out if I left...I mean full on, uncontrollable tantrum. He still cries when we go in, but adjusts more quickly then before and now I can go to my Sunday School class and Relief Society class and he's just having fun with the other kids. I think this is great for him because it is his only real connection to other kids during the week. They have a playtime, quick lesson, activity, snack time, singing time, reading time, sometimes another activity. I am part of a playgroup as well, they meet every Thursday but we never go because it interferes with Violet's morning nap. Once she gives up her morning nap, we'll be able to go. And a friend of mine came to me about starting a toddler time at my house on Tuesdays. I love this idea. She says she tries to take her son to the Library but it's just chaotic. So we are going to have a few moms and toddlers and have singing time, story time every time...then also we will have some sort of activity or lesson or combined activity and lesson. Maybe (for example) learning about birds while we color birds, then create 'binoculars' out of toilet paper tubes and go bird watching outside. It's great that it will be at my house because it won't interrupt Violet's nap time...and it should be great motivation to keep the house clean and organized.
Liam has also really begun to sing songs with me and on his own. Today we were blowing up a balloon then letting it go so it would fly around really crazy like. He was cracking up, then he said "thank you mommy, this is really fun" and he gave me a big hug. Then he started singing a little tune that went "dooo dooo dooo, daaa daaa daaa, dee dee dee, dooo dooo dooo, daaa daaa daaa, dee dee dee". I am pretty sure he just made that up. I know it's not as if he made up some words to a song, but I've never heard him do anything like that. It was so cute.
I can't tell you how many times I've tried to get him to play hide and go seek but it just didn't click with him. Well it has been a while though since I've tried to play that with him. Then last night he came to me and told me to hide and he'll count to 10...then it was his turn. It was so much fun, we played for about 20 minutes before I had to put an end to it. For my turn he would count to 10 at a super fast speed giving me little time to hide, I really had to book it. His turn to hide I would count very slowly giving him plenty of time. This still freaked him out and he would squeal incredibly loudly as he frantically decided where to go, usually ending up around the corner or under a blanket right in front of me...both of which he would still be laughing and squealing, and he couldn't handle the suspense of me finding him, he would immediately poke his head out and say "you found me!" and then erupt in more laughing. I look forward to more of the games we will play, and ones that he will invent.
No comments:
Post a Comment