Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Liam Update: 2 Years, 8 Months

So Liam had quit going to the potty in the potty chair. He just didn't have time to stop. BUT yesterday I sat him down and walked him through using the potty whenever he needs to. He can open the door, he knows how to take off his pullup and he knows how to sit on the potty. I was in the kitchen doing the dishes, when I hear the toilet flush. Assuming he is throwing things down there to flush, I run to the bathroom... He is just getting off the toilet, smearing poo-poo along the edges. He had gone poo-poo in the potty chair ALL BY HIMSELF! Before I got too excited I checked the rooms looking for the diaper he had removed...making sure poop wasn't sitting on the rug somewhere. Finally I look in the bathroom trash can. There is his diaper! So we cleaned up and I was jumping all over the place telling him how proud I was of him. He had a satisfied look on his face, but also had the attitude like it was no big deal. I gave him stickers as a reward. I am hoping that by his 3rd birthday he'll have the routine down...that leaves us with 3 more months... If it doesn't happen, it's okay. I'm sure by kindergarten he'll have it down ;)

Earlier this week Liam got sick with a cold. He has been soooo good and so sweet. Very helpful. The biggest difference is he doesn't eat ANYTHING. As long as he drinks water though and has a healthy snack to nibble from, I'm okay and he's okay.

Last week Liam wanted to play with a toy I had put away. I told him to clean his room first and showed him how to do this. He picked up SOME of his toys and he made his bed...I really didn't think he would do anything, so happy with the progress I got the toy down for him to play with.

We have had two toddler time activity days and Liam really enjoys having his little friends over. The other day we were getting out of the car, and they were waiting for us at the door (had to run to the grocery store) and Liam says "oh look, Cousins!" and I said "No, not cousins, but they are your friends" which he agreed "oh yeah, friends". When they leave he says "bye friends". It's so cute. A few days ago he asked me "friends come over to play?" and I said "no, not right now, but in a few days"...he threw a little fit at that answer.

He builds things all the time for me. With his little workshop, he'll build something and then tell me "happy birthday mommy, I made this for you". Once he said "I built you a house mommy". Very thoughtful. He has definetely increased on the number of words he can read, and he always tries to sound words out. He'll even tell me how to spell some of the words he knows. He also has counting down (at least to 10, he gets fumbled when we go higher and says eighteen a lot). If I ask him to get me three blocks, he will bring me three blocks. etc. Thanks to David, he is becoming interested in Left and Right. He also plays really well with his computer cool school. I went to Church on Sunday and he stayed home because he was sick. David put him on the computer cool school when I left. And three hours later when I came home, he was still playing on it. I know, I wouldn't let him play on the computer that long, but I wasn't in charge. We like to watch The Misadventures of Flapjack around here. And this morning when I went to see if Liam was awake, he was playing in his room and when I walked in he had a toy car and he was talking about going to see Candied Island...which is from The Misadventures of Flapjack.

I got really frustrated with him yesterday, but really it was all my fault. We were leaving to the grocery store. I am sick and just feeling like crap. I really didn't want to go at all, but we needed milk for Violet at the very least. So I got the kids and myself dressed, then went to put Liam's carseat in the car...and I left the door open to the backyard. It was raining outside and just started really pouring. I thought Liam might like to look at the rain. When I came back, he was rolling around in the rain on the wet ground...completely soaked. I got mad, even though it really was my fault, but being sick I have no patience at all...poor Liam. I had to change his clothes before we left, and I lectured him the whole time I changed his clothes. And what does Liam say "oh, Thankyou mommy". Then at the store, he was such an angel. He was so good! He sat in the back of the cart while Violet sat in front. Normally he'll stand up and occasionally throw stuff out of the cart, if I crowd him too much he'll start kicking the food. This time he sat there so good and let me crowd him with food without moving. Then when we got to the checkout, he unloaded nearly all of the groceries himself onto the conveyer belt. There was no longer any room for him to sit, so I took him out and he helped me push the cart to the car. He was so wonderful. I bought him a doughnut with sprinkles for being so good. I usually do this on grocery trips, if he isn't good, he doesn't get it. I know I know...but I look at it as a reward rather then a bribe because I don't tell him he is going to get it for being good. Only once so far he hasn't gotten one. THEN when we got home, I thought he would help me bring groceries inside (he normally does), I went to put Violet down for her nap and come out to see Liam is once again rolling in the puddles on the ground. What a little boy. I love him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. I am slowing getting back into the swing of things. Sorry for disappearing!

d e e said...

Hi Jackie! I've been keeping up with you! I have been neglecting my own blog though and it shows. Good to see hear from you!