Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

The Menu:
Turkey (my mom made)
Ham (David's mom made)
Green Bean Casserole (Connor made)
Squash (Amber/Ryan made)
Mashed Potatoes (by me)
Sweet Potatoes (by me)
Stuffing (my mom made)
Rolls (I heated the brown and serve kind)
Veggie tray (I put together...wanted to make it look like a turkey but didn't have the right kind of round platter to put it on)
Banana bread (by me)
Gravy (my mom made)
Cranberry sauce (David's mom made)
Punch (me and David made... it was made with pineapple juice, pomegranate juice, then we cooked a sugar/fresh peeled ginger/water to a syrup and added that, then we added ginger ale)
Also served Coke (no one drank) Sparkling cider (Connor brought, no one drank)Water with Lemon (I think David's brother had some... is it creepy I kept track of what everyone drank and didn't?)Pink Lemonade, Root beer, canned fruit punch, Ginger ale.

Most people had the punch or a ginger ale. Kids had pink lemonade.

Pies/Desserts:
2 Pumpkin (by me, they turned out good... oh and the pies I made, I cheated and bought a crust... crust isn't too hard to make, and usually turns out nice and flaky, but it makes a big mess which creates more work than it's worth).
2 Pecan (one of them by me, the other Sue brought. Mine came out delicious, I didn't try the other one)
1 Apple (by me. My mom makes the best apple pie you've ever eaten, but this one came out quite tasty if I do say so myself)
1 Cheesecake with fresh fruit on top (Ryan and Amber brought)
1 Apple crisp (Sue also brought that)

This is the second Thanksgiving we've hosted. I started what I hope to make a new tradition. I had everyone write down what they are thankful for. One thing or many, anonymous or not. Then David's dad read them out loud to us. Liam's said he is thankful for: Healthy food, treats, presents, no snakes, banana bread, bricks of our house. Most people were thankful for living in the U.S.A. and family. Mine said: Thankful for my Father in Heaven, and my Savior Jesus Christ. For all the blessing and trials meant for me. So Grateful for family, friends, our home, food and life.

And because it wasn't cold outside yet (it is today but wasn't yesterday...at all) I bought a bunch of large candles to put inside the fireplace...to get the atmosphere without the heat of a fire.

I think Last years went very well. But this year I didn't stress out at all! You may not realize what a miracle that is, but trust me, it is. I had everything under control. Food was ready by the time people arrived. Of course it helps that everyone pitches in with the food...and the main courses! But they did last year too. Growing up when my mom did Thanksgiving she prepared ALL of the food, and everything was made from scratch... including the rolls. I tried making rolls once. Some people played racquetball with them.

I guess this year I was more prepared on when I could start making the food I served... mashed potatoes, pies and banana bread I made the day before. The other difference was the house stayed clean all week. Liam has learned how to clean and helps me all of the time now. I give him a dollar now and then in return, so he can earn money for Christmas. I would like him to buy Violet a gift so he can experience what it feels like to earn money and buy/give a gift to someone else.

So the house was pretty clean. I even kept the kitchen clean while I cooked! Really people, miracles left and right. After the meal David's parents did a load of dishes for me. This year I decided to use our good plates instead of the plastic plates I usually opt for. It was nice to find a load of dishes done by the time everyone left. THEN while I got the kids to bed, David put most of the food away and threw out trash. This inspired me to finish up cleaning and putting dishes away. The house is clean! USUALLY after a party, including Thanksgiving last year... I "soak" the dishes, the pots and pans, the serving bowls etc. Embarrassing to admit but they will stay that way for weeks. Yes, weeks. It just gets worse everyday and I don't want to go near the kitchen. What would have been an hours worth of clean up turns into an entire day worth of clean up. And scrubbing the "soaked" pans. But if you clean a dish right away, not a lot of scrubbing is required, it's easy! Who knew?

I feel so calm today :) NOW to decorate for Christmas! Last year I was decorating the place about two weeks before Thanksgiving. This year I wanted to make sure the holidays felt distinct. We are going to see the new Harry Potter movie today.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are amazing. This feast looks fantastic. And a clean house!