Thursday, January 23, 2014

Laundry Room Makeover

We bought these washer and dryers about 8 years ago... thinking they would last us at least 15 years... after all that is how long our parents washers and dryers would last. We didn't realize that the use of computers in washer and dryers may shorten their life... also the fact that we poorly chose to use a front loading washing machine. About two years ago we started to experience trouble with the dryer. And a few months ago the washer started giving me trouble. One load took nearly the whole day with all the stopping and starting and waiting.

So David began his extensive research on washer and dryers. David LOVES technology. Heck, I LOVE technology. He loves the latest and greatest... but he's a smart guy and reason will win out with him. I begged him to get a top loader (thanks to the advice of my mother in law)... and I suggested that the less technology might be the better in this case. David being David of course, looked at the pros and cons of many washers and dryers. In the end he finally felt good about getting SpeedQueens... no bells or whistles.... commercial grade washer and dryer with good ole knobs and switches not computerized ones. So far so good.

Since we were getting a new washer and dryer... that weren't too fancy... I thought it might be fun to fix up my laundry room a little bit. I didn't do much... but here are the before and after:

BEFORE: Our sucky Kenmore Elite from 2006

AFTER: New Speed Queens... I added those decals to them. Cute, no? Just put a bird on it :)

Painted the place brown because I had some leftover and I like the color. I had an old teak bath mat that I was ready to throw out but decided to upcycle it... you can't tell but it has glittery paint covering the background, and decided to paint a clothes pin on it. The other lovely little painting is one by my maternal grandmother a painting she did of my great grandmother's well.
That's it. Not a big deal but I like it. I also found a bathroom rug I was no longer using to add to the space. I told David if I had confidence to put it in myself (or if I thought he would do it for me) I would add a sweet mini chandelier in place of the boring light in there now. But for now. I like my laundry room much more... though I doubt it will make me suddenly like doing laundry.

No comments: