Saturday, August 23, 2014

Eileen's Penne Pasta Dish

My sister-in-law, Eileen, makes this amazingly delightful pasta dish that I find myself craving. She was kind enough to share her recipe with me and I want to write it down so I can access it easily.

Sliced chicken breasts or use chicken tenders, (Shrimp works too) marinate a few hours (she says overnight if you can) in garlic and some Tony Chacheres.  Grill (she prefers to grill on BBQ, I cook in a iron skillet) until done.

Boil pasta of choice (I use Penne...as the title suggests) until done, drain, set aside.

Olio: Heat skillet on med-hi. Add 1 cup of olive oil. When oil shimmers on top, add 1/4 cup of minced garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp of parsley, and about 1\4 tsp rosemary. Let simmer ONE minute...DO not let the garlic brown! Add some finely diced tomatoes and simmer one more minute. Set aside. This can be served as a bread dip or tossed with the pasta...especially if you or kids don't care for the mushroom sauce.

Mushroom sauce: In a skillet add 2 Tbsp olive oil and heat over med-hi until shimmery. Add 1 package of peeled and sliced mushrooms (or peel and slice your own) with 1\4 cup of garlic until mushrooms are about halfway done, about 5 min. Add 1\2 sliced red bell pepper, 1 tsp salt, some fresh cracked pepper, and sauté until done (maybe 5 more minutes). When about done add 1\4 cup of chopped Kalamata olives. Add 1\8 cup brine from olives, cover, then remove from heat.

I also add quartered artichoke hearts and heat with sauce.

Okay so I LOVE the olio so instead of adding 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1\4 cup of garlic to the mushroom sauce I just add 2 Tbsp of the olio.

Toss with pasta, add chicken, and enjoy!

No comments: