Monday, March 23, 2009

Liam Update: 2 Years, 5 Months

Liam's memory is really improving, I can see now that he'll remember things a while after they have happened. For instance he was watching the show Super Why, over an hour later we were playing pretend and I say "look, Super Letters!" (a line used in Super Why) while pointing to some non-existent letters on the wall and Liam then repeats the previous 5 super letters on the show in the exact order! He says excitedly "OEVNO!" It really surprised me.

He takes his pull-up's off now after he pees in it...he is trying to make it to the potty chair in time and sometimes succeeds! Usually he has already gone in his diaper. But he really rarely has accidents...and when he does it's been in the bath tub, easy to clean!

He is trying to really pick up on reading, spelling things out and writing his own letters. He had the letters KOI that he had put together. He says "Mummy!" (which is what he calls me sometimes) then proceeds to sound it out...what he came up with was K-ca O-ow I-eh he says "ca-ca ow COW!" he thought he discovered how to spell cow.

He can write several letters now, t T, X, H, i I, L, O, Q, E and F so far. AND he has learned some sign language alphabet, he does C, D, A, M, L, G with his hands. He finds letters in everything. He'll pick up a stick and say "Look! I!", a cherrio obviously "O!" a broken cherrio "C!", he saw the stem between a flower and leaf and screamed "V!" I think he thinks the world is made up of letters. It reminds me of this movie called PI or π rather, about this mathemetician who sees numbers in everything. He has 3 basic principles (1) Mathematics is the language of nature; (2) Everything around us can be represented and understood from numbers; (3) If you graph the numbers in any systems, patterns emerge. Therefore there are patterns everywhere in nature. Liam does this, except with the English Alphabet! haha.

I am so interested to see where this love of letters will take him. Will he have a love of languages? Will he be a writer? Will it have no impact on his life or future whatsoever? That last part seems harder for me to believe since Heavenly Father has given us all gifts and if we nurish our gifts they do improve and sometimes we are given additional gifts as a result. And this love of letters at such a young age, it's a gift.

Liam has his days where he doesn't listen. But he has been getting so much better at listening and obeying. Sometimes he screams "NO!" at me, but does what I ask just the same. I love my little boy, he is getting so big so quickly!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had no idea either. They just told me when I fond a dentist here. It's a pediatric dentist though.

They start at 18 months.

Unknown said...

Once your child is 3 you can request free testing from the school district.

It's hard to tell without spending time with him.