Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Quiet Garden


I found this really cool Garden pillow online you can harvest the fruit and veggies... and I was excited to find this because in our little once a week preschool thing I do with three other moms, it was my turn to teach and this months theme is plants. I was teaching about Fruits and Vegetables. I thought, oh I am going to make that someday, but didn't think to apply it to my lesson yet... Until I read Quiet in the Garden by Aliki. At the end of the book it mentions how to make your own quiet garden (a real one)...and I thought of Quiet books that we might make/bring for our children to play with in Church...and how I'd like to make a Felt quiet book someday...then suddenly all these thoughts came together and I decided to have the 'kids' aka moms...make our own quiet felt gardens!

I'm not a talented sewer person (yet) so making the fruits and veggies as well as the ones in the pillow wasn't an option. I also thought it would be cute if the kids can hang this quiet garden in their rooms. So it's more like a garden flag...works better with flatter fruits and veggies. Also it has one orange carrot, three green snap peas, and two red strawberries...see what I did there? The peas, I really wanted to sew on snaps, but somehow the snaps I thought I bought, weren't in the bag...I think Liam threw them out of the cart. So I used velcro. But snaps would have been better. Here is a video of the cut out materials and then the finished product. I wanted pictures, but again, my camera isn't working.

1 comment:

productjunkie4.0 said...

Love the hanging garden Diana! Good job!