Monday, February 1, 2010

Turkey Burgers

I made some turkey burgers last night that came out really good. Turkey is super lean but sometimes dry...these were moist and flavorful thanks to the worcestershire sauce I think. When you make the patties they don't shrink because there is hardly any fat...first time I made them too large thinking they would shrink, making them a little smaller makes them taste better, in my opinion.

Ground Turkey (1 pkg...don't remember the weight it was but I think a little over a lb).
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger root
1 fresh green or red chili pepper (seeded and diced small)
1 medium shallot (*any onion will do, that's just what I had on hand)
2 tsp dry cilantro (or more of fresh cilantro, whatever you have)
1 tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1/4 cup of Worchestershire sauce
olive oil for cooking

cook the garlic, ginger root, chili pepper, and onion or shallot in a bit of olive oil until just brown and remove from heat.

Heat grill or broiler or stovetop.

In mixing bowl add all the ingredients together and mix with hands until well mixed...careful not to burn your hands on the browned ingredients though :)

Shape patties. I cooked mine on the stove using a grill type pan and added a little bit of olive oil over medium high heat. Cook for about 5-8 minutes on each side.

I served these on a toasted wheat bun, slice of baby swiss, spring salad mix, pickles with Dijon mustard, ketchup and a little fat free mayo.

No comments: