Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Violet!

Had to do a post about Violet because I am so proud of her. She has been learning and growing so much. Before school started it was nearly impossible to get our sweet baby girl to do much around the house. Any task you asked of her was answered with a whiney "I can't, I too tired" or a complete meltdown. Often we couldn't even get her to use words when she got upset... so we didn't know what was bothering her... sometimes she had a meltdown just because she got milk on her shirt while eating her cereal and it was the end of the world for her.

But now, just a few months after school started she has learned to "use her words", we work on it at home as well... nothing like a parent who leaves everything to the teachers to teach their children, and then gets mad at the school system for expecting more out of their children than they were taught at school... I digress, stepping down from my soap box, try not to hate me if you are feeling defensive about that statement, that's just my opinion.

The change has been rather remarkable. We have way less tantrums and when she does have a melt down, it is much shorter lived than it once was. AND best of all, I have to say, she HELPS around the house. She has pride and joy in completing tasks that are helpful. I ask her do to something, clean something, put something away and off she skips with a smile on her face. What was really the cherry on top is the other day she had a friend come over to play, earlier that day I had asked Violet to clean her room, after the friend had left and pulled out all the toys, the room was a toy explosion disaster. The next night I walk into her room and her room is spotless. I ask "Violet, did you clean your room?" she proudly says yes. I couldn't believe she not only took the initiative to clean her room, but didn't even have to come tell me about it afterwards to get her 'pat on the back'.

Her teachers told me just yesterday how impressed they are at how much calmer she is and how much more she talks it out if she gets upset. It's been really helpful to have their support and help in bringing about this change. Grateful mama right here!

1 comment:

the Smiths said...

Go Violet! We are working stuff out with Aurora and I hope that we get to a better place soon.