Friday, September 26, 2008

Attempted Recipe: Eggs Benedict

I was leafing through Saveur Magazine while feeding Violet when I saw a recipe for Eggs Benedict. So I thought, oh I want to try to make that.

EXCEPT I didn't have enough distilled white vinegar, so I substituted apple cider vinegar...and I didn't have english muffins so I just made toast with regular bread. I didn't have canadian bacon or slices of ham so I just used microwave bacon. AND since it was just for me I didn't want to bother making hollandaise sauce so I topped it with canned diced tomatoes and chilis.

So you can probably guess it didn't come out as good as hoped. First of all, apple cider vinegar has a stronger flavor, so I really tasted the vinegar on the eggs, and really the only purpose the vinegar is supposed to serve is to cook a smooth egg (according to the magazine anyway). I had to drink a ton of hot chocolate after to get the vinegar taste out of my mouth. I can still smell it in the house.

Secondly, I forgot all about the bacon in the microwave.

Thirdly, the diced tomatoes and chili's, well they were a good topping but they made the bread super soggy and wasn't too good a combo with the vinegar taste. English muffins would have held up better.

Actually I think I have a stomach ache now.

The only good part. The eggs cooked perfectly, and that was my first attempt at poaching eggs. But again. The vinegar *shudders*

Verdict: Needs Work

1 comment:

Linda Delaney said...

At least you tried something new. Right? Substituting ingredients is a little tricky if you've never made the dish before. Vinegar right out of bottle should almost always be diluted. Am I to assume that you don't like the flavor of vinegar?