Monday, August 23, 2010

Adventures in Running Errands.

Ran into Staples for a two-minute trip with both kids in tow. All I needed was a large ugly wall calendar to keep track of school events/schedule for Liam. I find the calendar right away and am ready to leave... but then... Violet announces loudly "Uh-Oh Mommy, potty"... I was pretty sure she had begun to pee already. Yes she had a diaper on, but Violet does not keep a wet diaper on. So before she can pull it off I march us all off to the bathroom. My plan was to let her sit on the toilet and put the same diaper back on (hoping it would absorb and dry that quickly). I didn't have a spare diaper on me. It was in the car. It was a two-minute trip after all... I am happy it wasn't number 2 of course... She absolutly will not put it back on. Yucky super wet diaper. no way. She had on a dress... I risked it and kept her naked. I didn't think she would pee again so soon... but you never know. I was more worried about her pulling her dress up.

She did. I thought we were going to make it... but the second I turn around to call Liam to come over to me, I turn back and Violet has her dress to her face. I gasp loudly, which received more attention. Now I'm embarrassed... I don't normally care what people think, but I'm a bit more sensitive when it involves my kids. Violet does it again. I pick her up. Liam, meanwhile, is sticking highlighters in his mouth because he thinks they might be candy... Violet starts SCREAMMMMING because she wants back down. Dress keeps flying up. Every single person is staring at me. But especially the people in front off me checking out as slowly as possible. First the mom HAD to sign up for a Staples reward card. Then she HAD to complain about the cost of bottled water there (she was buying a whole case of it) Here's a clue for you. Don't buy a case of bottled water at Staples... you probably won't get a good price for it. I didn't even realize they sold cases of water there...

More annoying than that were her kids just staring at us and smirking. I was too annoyed at this point. I stare back frowning. They don't stare directly at us again. Very loving of me, I know, I know. Nobody's perfect. Then the MANAGER who is checking them out goes as SLOWLY as possible. When it's our turn, he finishes tearing off a portion of the card form, but has 2 minutes of trouble tearing it off. He says "I'll just be a moment, this is harder than it looks" I'm screaming in my head: JUST SET IT DOWN, TEAR IT WHEN YOU HAVE SOME FREE TIME, AND CHECK US OUT!!! I very nearly flashed him Violet's naked rear end... just as a friendly warning... I didn't, I wouldn't disrespect Violet like that. That trip took about 20 minutes, not 2.

This was just the last stop in the day. Last bit of patience gone. Had some moments with a grumpy worker at Hobby Lobby earlier. When we left Hobby Lobby Violet ran a bit ahead and I yelled "VIOLET! Come hold Liam's hand!" she stopped and held his hand. If she would have gone near the street I would have been there first. WELL a helpful lady says to me "You know they sell cute monkey leashes for kids at Walmart"... I just look at her. NOOOO KIDDING... she doesn't know my kid. That would be something getting Violet to wear a leash without her having a convulsion before I just give up. There is a reason she's not in a cart or stroller. Then a crazy lady in the parking lot starts shouting at me "Hey that's a beautiful color on..." I didn't hear the rest I just got in the car and drove away.

I know my day has to do with my own attitude. I hope to look back on this and chuckle.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

thanks for posting this!! It made me laugh.. and not AT you, just laugh because it is a typical day with a typical mom!! We have all been there.. especially ME!!!!

Marie McClellan said...

I would have loved to help you out with the kids! Too bad I can't when we're 3 1/2 hours away from you. So sorry you had a bad day.