Saturday, August 7, 2010

Shorter Please!

I have had long hair forever. For EVER. I don't like having long hair. It's a pain and with having two lovely, drive me insane sometimes, children It usually looks like a mess of tangles. But David LOVES long hair. So for years I've been torn, wanting to cut it and not wanting to make him sad or think I don't look pretty anymore.

I believe it began back when I was younger. I would hear stories of how my mom had gorgeous long red hair and after the birth of my oldest sister (their first) my mom cut it all off, boy hair short, and my dad had been sad about that ever since... even if it did grow back eventually... Later on I saw other examples of disappointed husbands after their wives cut their gnarly, dulling hair shorter.

After I had Liam I begged David to say he'd still love me if I cut it. LOL of course he would, but he would just smile at me and say 'please don't cut your hair short'. I said 'but will you divorce me if I do?'... as if I'd want to stay with someone who would divorce me over that... just want you to understand I was being dramatic, not trying to make it out that David is a total jerk. But he would just smile. When I was pregnant with Violet, once again I longed for short hair...

Okay now I sound like I'm pregnant. I'm not. We aren't trying until sometime NEXT year, or whenever I lose 30 lbs... so if I lose it sooner than a year, than we will try sooner... but that's not likely.

Just saying I've been wanting my hair shorter. I hate seeing pictures of it all tangled up in the back. I also don't like going places to get it cut. EVERY TIME the hair stylist wants me to keep it long, it better suites my face. OKAY I can take a hint, apparently I will look HORRIBLE with short hair. But I just don't care anymore. I'm overweight as it is, long hair doesn't hide that fact, it just makes me look frumpier.

SOOOO last week I pulled out some scissors and cut an inch and a half off. A few days later I cut another inch and a half. Yesterday I got really brave and cut about three inches off. And today I took another inch. I just can't stop, it feels so good. My hair is at my shoulders now and I LOVE it. I added lots of short layers so it has body and it's just so much easier to wash, brush and style.

David's reaction? Yesterday he told me I looked really pretty... but you could tell he couldn't figure out why. Today he once again told me I look pretty (this is not a compliment he hands out very often). Hahaha. I couldn't help it. I said "So you like my hair shorter?" and he said "OH, is it shorter?" and I said "Yes it used to be down to here" indicating my elbow. He raised his eyebrows "OH, you aren't going to cut any more off are you?" and I smiled and said "I want to! I think it looks really cute" and he said "Well it does look really cute, but please don't cut anymore off!" and I replied "a woman just gets to a certain age where her hair shouldn't be long anymore, it just looks dull and terrible... maybe not really gorgeous women who fix their hair everyday and go to a salon regularly... but for me I need to start wearing it shorter". He said "well your hair is beautiful and never looks dull or ugly and it never will". Hahahahahaha, so sweet. So untrue. But he seems to believe it.

My decision? I am going to try to cut another half inch off soon... and just keep it this length for a while... Also it's time to grow the bangs out.

PS. I did a waaaay better job than any hair salon could have done. Saving us $120 or so.

No comments: