Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Some Sort of Universal Law

I've probably written about this before, and I've heard nearly every mom of young children say this... but how is it when you are cleaning one room, the children are messing up another?

Today I cleaned my bathroom and started on my bedroom. Kids sounded like they were having a good time so I let them be. Big mistake.

I had changed Violet's shirt before I started cleaning... she runs into my room without a shirt saying she needs a new one... I say "why..."

In the kitchen they had some sort of cereal, milk, chocolate milk and orange juice food fight. That's what all the laughing was about... of course Liam was spotless... hmmm. So I have a sticky sticky kitchen floor. It wasn't left out stuff, Liam had gotten them a snack, which I had approved of. He has a history of doing an excellent job getting them snacks. I don't know what went wrong this time.

I just started crying and crying. Then vomiting... I can't get upset without losing my stomach these days. Sent the kids to their rooms. It just feels so useless when you have a messy house (thanks to being sick forever) and you try to clean it and nothing really gets clean. When you have a mess this big I mean. A mess that will take days to clean... longer really... unending... I organize the stuff in a room (for example), get distracted; I have to feed the kids, play with them, stop a fight, get sick, take a nap from being exhausted etc. I leave the room for another day. But can't get to it right away... usually have plans of buying containers for things. Piles get messed up, mixed with other stuff etc.

Now it's not like a hoarders home. But, for example, in my bedroom I have a pile of dirty clothes and a pile of dirty towels, a pile of the kids toys that need to go in their rooms, pile of clothes to donate, pile of baby clothes to sort through, box from David's new computer, box from the kids pool, and one other box I can't remember what came in it. Need to store them in the attic. I have a container of baby toys I took from the kids stash for the baby. I have a trash bag, a small pile of cups that need to be put in the kitchen. If I don't take care of these piles soon, in a few days everything will be scattered and add in crumbs from crackers the kids eat (yes they are supposed to eat in the kitchen but they always manage to get some past me), more toys will be added to my room, more trash, more dirty clothes.

Some days I just feel like throwing everything out.

Some days I throw a ton of stuff out. It feels so good.

No comments: