Friday, February 6, 2009

Will I Miss This?

My friend recently wrote a blog about how she needs to remember that her clingy baby boy is going to be grown up one day and so she needs to basically cherish him now, even when she's getting frustrated because one day she will miss it.

I definitely agree with that sentiment. BUT some days, man...I think yeah I'll miss this time, but will I miss the never ending messes?

Yesterday I cleaned:
Spilled Jet Dry, Baby Lotion, and Liquid Dish Soap all over kitchen floor and coffee table
Spilled baby formula all over the kitchen floor
Spilled Olive Oil all over the kitchen floor (all done at different times of the day when I was distracted with Violet for half a second)
Violet was chewing on a leaf and making a funny face while we were laying out on a blanket in the backyard enjoying the gorgeous weather. I say to Liam "How silly, Violet thinks the leaf is a cookie"...so what does Liam do? He eats a leaf...starts gagging on it and throws up all over the blanket. I think I sometimes forget he's only two.
Then I gave them both baths that night...didn't get a chance to get any regular cleaning done.

Today...just before 10 am. So far I've cleaned:
Spilled Salt all over Kitchen Floor
Crushed crackers all over couch
Spilled Lucky Charms cereal all over living room
AND just when I thought he was being good and playing on his own in his big cardboard box we just got that he uses as a fort...while I fed Vi...only to find he has drawn all over the dining room walls (again) and the living room wall AND a few of his toys. IT's a dry erase marker...that doesn't come out of our walls because it's a matte paint. No not even Magic Eraser get's it out :(

Perhaps in Fifteen years when he's not talking to me anymore, I'll go back and read this and my heart will ache because I do miss this. It is hard to imagine now though. I hate cleaning as it is...let alone extra cleaning that never ever seems to end. I need to learn to laugh at these things, take them lightly...and at the same time I want him to learn not to do this anymore. What do I do without sending him mixed messages? Parenting is hard. Was that the most obvious statement ever uttered or what.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

just duct tape his hands shut.. then he can't pick up anything to spill!!! :) (and for any CPS CASEWORKER that might be reading this comment.. I'M TOTALLY KIDDING!!!!)
I totally understand!!! some days you just wanna....

the Smiths said...

i think your heart might ache at the eating the leaf part...bc that cracks me up but i'm sure if you ask mom she doesn't miss cleaning up the throw up

Unknown said...

HAHA! Maybe I wouldn't miss that either!