Friday, April 29, 2011

Pregnant Matters

Thursday afternoon while picking Liam up from school, his teachers hand me a letter. It states that a student in Liam's class has fifth's disease, which is very common and not dangerous except it can be dangerous to a fetus, so the letter suggests if you are pregnant to contact your doctor.

I look up symptoms, many are cold like. And guess what, I have a cold and sore throat. So I think, well to be safe I'll call my doctor and see if I need to do anything.

I get a nurse and she tells me how it's very common and that most adults are immune, because if you've ever had it or have been exposed to it you will develop immunities for it. She acts like because my son doesn't have it, I'm probably fine. BUT she adds, "IF YOU WANT" you can get a blood test and it will tell us if you immune to it or not.

I don't have time to get blood tests done every week (which seems to be the case). She says "So shall we set up the paperwork for you to get your blood tested?" and I say "nah, it's okay" and she says "uh, you don't want to?" I say "well if it's not a big deal I don't really want to have to find a babysitter".

THEN she has the NERVE to get annoyed at me. Isn't she the one acting like I'm over reacting???? She says "well, it's HIGHLY recommended that you get a blood test to make sure". What the freak? Couldn't she say that in the beginning. She could have said "to be on the safe side we highly recommend you get your blood tested, but most adults are immune". Not play it off like it's not a big deal, then get all huffy when I think "okay maybe it's not a big deal". Sheesh. I'm not a mind reader or a medical professional. I think she is one of the ones who has the attitude like pregnant women always over-react to things, so she plays everything off like it's not a big deal, and when a pregnant woman actually takes her at her word she thinks "what? you aren't over-reacting, what the hell is wrong with you? Don't you know this could be serious?" Or maybe it's "uh-oh, if it turns out she has it and something happens to her baby I might be in deep-doo-doo". Who knows. I don't even know if this little rant made any sense. Long story short, I guess I'll be getting another blood test on Monday or Tuesday.

1 comment:

Monika said...

that IS annoying!!! slap her next time you see her. ugh.