What really made my day Saturday is David (without any hints or asking) volunteered to go grocery shopping... hmmm maybe he wanted to get away from all the moaning and groaning? No that wouldn't be fair to his being so thoughtful.
Well he calls me from the store about 30 minutes into shopping to ask me what Gala apples are supposed to look like... and are they yellow? I said no they are reddish with yellowish highlights... I tell him they have the names of the apples printed on the price tag in front of them. He says "well this place doesn't have that great a selection, in fact none of the fruit here looks too great, of course I am at Walmart." whhhhaaattt???
I didn't want to complain, because he was doing me a great favor... But I have tried to give Walmart fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, milk a chance more than a few times. And I'm probably a spoiled brat for saying this, but YUCK. Fruit there is always (for me) bruised or old or mushy. Veggies, old and odd colored. Meat... poor quality, tough, no taste, just bad cuts. I only buy organic chicken, they don't sell it. Eggs OLD... even the Egglands Best. Milk... every time I've checked, close to expiring and more than once I have picked up a gallon and it's tasted spoiled even if it's dated a week from expiring. I mean there is a reason it's cheaper... I would just rather spend a little bit more to have better quality food.
My stomach was turning just thinking about it. I said "nevermind, don't get any of the fruit... or veggies... or uh any meat, they won't have the right chicken... and don't buy eggs or milk there."
David says "sooo I have to put all of this back and start over?"
Me "I'm so sorry David, I really am but I'm already throwing up all the time, I can't even stomach thinking about it... but you can get cereal and canned foods there."
David "No I don't want to do that. Okay, where should I go?"
Me "Any grocery store; Randalls, Krogers, or HEB."
I couldn't believe David didn't know how I felt about Walmart food. I'm not shy about it. I don't think he'll ever forget again though.
Sunday was very good too. I only threw up 3 times (rather than 7 or more) and not once at Church! I prayed a lot that I would feel good enough to teach my class. Prayer answered (check). In fact if I threw up 3 times each day, I think I could handle that (of course I wouldn't be saying that if I didn't typically throw up 7+ times a day, it's interesting what can make you more grateful).
Sunday evening I asked for David to help me make dinner. I was feeling queasy and needed him to cut and touch the raw chicken. He made us chicken nuggets with panko breading. I made rice and peas. We both made cookies. Kids loved it.
We had a Family Home Evening about manners (24 of them). Kids really need some help in the "not interrupting grownups unless it's an emergency" and the polite way to interrupt if they must (isn't everything an "emergency" to a preschooler?). They (really just Violet) needs help in NOT pointing out physical characteristics of other people... I have yet to hear a flattering one she points out. They were receptive to the lesson, but we will, no doubt, have to have it again.
3 comments:
I concur about Walmart produce and meat!
I too do NOT like Wal-Mart produce at all!
oh and forget the meat! gross! it doesn't even look like meat! yuck!
Post a Comment