The year was 1995 and I have no idea. I just moved to Texas and we weren't exactly rich, though not poverty either. Clothes just weren't a priority. I wore whatever I could find. I had hand me down long shorts from a youth leader that were from the 80's... I remember wearing those to school once and people actually shouted at me stuff like "The 80's called, they want their high waters back!". I also bought a pair of velvety brown pants, cost me $50 of my own money. I don't know why I let my sister Laura talk me into buying them, they were a large size as a smaller size wasn't available and the pants were on sale. I was fairly thin, not even 100 lbs, I think I wore a size 4, but I bought these pants in a size 9!( A youth size 9, not a woman's size 9... not sure women's have a size 9... think women's goes from 8 to 10? which I would be more than happy to be a woman's size 10 today). They were very loose on my waist. When I wore them my granny panties stuck out in the back and I didn't realize it until after maybe the 100th time I wore them. Often I wore my dads shirts. I had a few clothes my parents bought for me. They had a lot of kids so they had to split the back to school money among us. I remember a rumor once that our school would have a uniform and I used to hope they would... but too many parents and kids were against the idea.
I know my parents did the best they could. I don't want to sound ungrateful at all. I still can't dress well to this day, but I like that it's not a focal point in my life. I don't know how to pass this on to my kids though... if we have the money to buy them clothes, why make them wear underwear that's too big or too small? Why not buy more socks when they get holes in them or when we can't find pairs anymore? Why not buy them pants and shirts that fit? My clothes were constantly made fun of by ignorant people. As character building as it might have been I want to spare my children of that.
David (who also grew up with the bare necessities) asked Violet if she could have anything in the world what would it be. She smiled and said "nothing". Instead of believing she was just content he decided we give them too much. He said he remembers there was always something he wanted that they couldn't afford. Our kids should appreciate what they have because they don't have some things. I agree. But it's hard for me not to spoil them.
The other day I was trying to show Liam (via youtube) how fun taking a martial arts class would be. We think it will help build confidence in him and teach him more respect and discipline. I tell him he's very lucky, when I was younger I wanted to do martial arts but we couldn't afford it. Liam says "So you want me to do it because you couldn't do it when you were little?" Wow, he called me out. Living vicariously through my children and possibly spoiling them along the way.
Here's a picture. Sorry it's turned the wrong way. I think I'm actually 17 in this picture because my hair is brown instead of blonde... but you get the gist. Note my stylish long pajama shirt, khaki pants, and my tons of eye makeup.
No comments:
Post a Comment