



As you can see, the car was full. I didn't even have room for my legs. (pictures taken with my phone, please excuse the quality).
My brother Connor lent us a DVD player for the car, with two screens. BUT forgot to get us the power cord. He was at work and the cord was in his car. We decided it would be well worth it to go pick up the power cord as Violet was already screaming her head off. And yes it was.
Before we leave Connor's place of work, we enter the address into the GPS. It says the trip will take (about) 14.5 hours... but when we checked on google maps it had said (about) 11.5 hours. I question this and David just assumes the car GPS is more accurate. It doesn't occur to either of us to check the overall route.
After about 6 hours of driving we make a pit stop. This is actually our 2nd stop, but nothing happened at the first stop. I don't like to pee at gas stations and I won't unless given no other option. And, if I can help it, I don't like to pee at fast food restaurants either...but I will. So where does that leave me? Home Depots, Academy Sports and Outdoors, Grocery Stores etc. I just find they are used less, and therefore less gross.
We stop at Academy Sports and Outdoors. And what a blessing we did! The ropes we used to tie down the tent and gear on the top had just become unraveled. The stuff was still held down with bungee cords, but I don't think they would outlast the speed + weight of the bag ratio. We find these awesome luggage rack straps. We fill up on gas and I take over driving.
As I'm driving we pass by Oklahoma City. I say to David: I didn't realize Texas had an Oklahoma City... David says: Uh it doesn't... Oklahoma does. He checks the GPS route. CRAP. It detoured us through Oklahoma. 3 hours off route...add in the extra stop, that's another hour at least... so about 4 hours off course. 4 HOURS, with a two year old and a 3 year old... who were being very patient, but only because they got to watch Toy Story and Toy Story II over and over again. (we have other movies but those were the favorites of both kids, they only tolerated the other movies).
We are now figuring it will be midnight when we get there. We didn't KNOW that the park closed at 8. We did find out, when we were still 5 hours away, that several of the roads in the canyon were closed due to flooding... making it impossible to get to our campsite anyway. David and I decide to drive three more hours and find a hotel for the night. Thank goodness for the flooding, as we would not have been able to get in the park anyway!
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment