First week of school he's ever had ~ with many more to come.
After the first day I was a little unsure we made the right decision. Liam was fine but I wasn't used to starting my day so soon and having to worry so much. Plus more driving than I am used to. Sure the school is literally one minute away... that doesn't change how many times I have buckle buckle, unbuckle unbuckle, buckle, unbuckle, buckle, unbuckle, buckle buckle, unbuckle unbuckle kids in all day (that probably doesn't sound as annoying as it is)... and thursdays it's buckle buckle buckle, unbuckle unbuckle unbuckle, buckle buckle, unbuckle unbuckle, buckle buckle, unbuckle unbuckle, buckle buckle buckle, unbuckle unbuckle unbuckle... and if I go somewhere with Violet or Violet and Bria add a few more to the list...
The first day Liam excitedly told me about the book they read, the music class, that Mrs. S yelled at him "Sit down on your FROG!" and when I asked which teacher he liked best he dreamily replied "Mrs. P" when I asked why he replied "because she's the best teacher in the whole world".
Second day Liam told me that fruit is good for our bodies, he said they got to eat blueberries. Surprised I asked "Wow, did you eat some?" (he never eats fruit unless it's in a smoothie or a fruit strip). He said "NO". haha. He also told me he got in the yellow and if he gets a red he has to go to time out. Uh-oh I said. He then told me this: That's okay, If I get a red I told my teacher "NO I don't want a time out" and then I push her.
I didn't realize he was plotting what he would do if he got a time out, I thought this actually happened... I even asked him three times if he pushed his teacher and he said Yes. So he got sent to his room... where he ended up taking a long nap. I told him when he woke up that he would have to apologize to his teacher the next day.
Third day right away Liam apologizes to one of his teachers. I tell the teacher he has informed me that he pushed one of the teachers yesterday. She looks surprised and says "No, he didn't do that, he's well behaved". I say "well he also told me he got yellow" and she says "well yes, we are trying to establish the rules and the consequences of obeying the rules and disobeying them, he gets up from his spot a lot. When they stay in their seat without being told they get to put a marble in the jar. If we have to tell them several times to sit down their color goes from green to yellow to red, red means a five minute time out". I see. She adds "But we see that he's outgoing and very smart, you probably know that of course" I can't help but say "yeah, He's reading already" and she says "yes, we have frogs with words on them and he read them to the class yesterday, we also noticed that he's very good with patterns. We'll figure a way out to challenge him". Awww that last part made me feel sooo relieved! It was exactly what I was hoping for.
At the end of the day Liam mentions a new friend at school and that he got yellow again, but that he was a good boy after that and it went to green again! The teachers also told me at pick up that he was very good that day.
Today, Thursday, is the last day of the week for him. I promised him a doughnut every Thursday if he was good in school all week. He also had show and tell... We have to bring something that begins with the letter of the week. The letter of the week was M, so we brought a Monkey toy. I'm pretty happy I've remembered his lunch all week and to bring something for show and tell. Let's see if I can keep that up... He also stayed in the green all day. At pick up one of the teachers told me that he read a book to the class, without any help! I think it's great they let him do that.
That boy sure loves school. I haven't had any trouble getting him to get ready and he barely turns around to say goodbye, today I made him come back and kiss me goodbye. And always at pick up he's all smiles and shouts "Mommy!" and hugs me.
No comments:
Post a Comment