The next day I had a freak out after about 3 or 3 1/2 hours in. I had to pee. Had warned David 1 hour beforehand that I had to pee. We were caravanning with his family... I don't know why we had to caravan, perhaps David was worried we would end up in Oklahoma again.
I don't like having to ask everyone to pull over when I have to pee. We would catch up. I didn't see the big deal about pulling off, we have a GPS... it was already clear we wouldn't end up in Oklahoma as we had passed that point. I did however, mind having to get everyone to pull over.
Well we miss a town we could have stopped at. I didn't see anything in sight. Liam announces he has to pee and poo and can't hold it in much longer. I start crying because my bladder is going to burst or I am going to pee my pants because my, typically loving caring husband, isn't listening to me. No, he's too worried about the caravan. I start crying a lot. He says he is sorry. He calls his brother to tell them we have people who need to use the restroom. They say they need gas anyway. I won't pee at a gas station. I start crying harder. I see a McDonalds and calm down a bit. Okay I can pee at the McDonalds. And we can just grab lunch (though I don't like McDonalds it is convinient with the playgroud) so the kids can burn off some energy. And we can stop caravaning.
David pulls up next to his brother at the gas station to tell them we are going to the McDonalds to use the bathroom. David's sister says in a questioning tone "You are going to use the bathroom at the McDonalds?" I don't know if she was questioning it because she didn't want to eat there, I don't know if she thought I could just go at the gas station. I don't know. I just flip out because I can't believe we have to check in when I made it very clear that I have to use the bathroom right now. So once again, not proud of myself, I start yelling "YES, YES WE ARE USING THE BATHROOM AT MCDONALDS BECAUSE I HAVE TO PEE AND THAT'S WHERE WE ARE GOING TO PEE AT" David just drives away. Finally.
After the potty break David apologizes to me. He says he is sorry he didn't listen to me. I forgive him. Easy to do when your bladder isn't bursting anymore. I ask David for his wallet. He looks worried, he needs to check in with his family. I don't care anymore, I am going to order food for me and the kids, he can eat if he wants. We are going on our own after this because I am not asking for permission to pee again. My mind is set. He kind of reluctantly gives me the wallet and says Okay and tells me what he wants. His family comes in while I am ordering, his sister gives me a kiss on the cheek. They are so forgiving with my outbursts... I guess they know me well. I mumble I'm sorry for yelling like that.
We part ways. They leave first and we go to fill up on gas. But we arrive home about an hour before they do. David's brother drives about 5 miles under the speed limit, David goes about 5 over.
So glad to be home. The kids were so great...thanks to the DVD player. And if nothing else we appreciate home more and we got to enjoy some beautiful scenery. I told David I think we fight too much on vacations, it's actually bad for our marriage. He said no, that the trips to Florida (both the Disney trip and when we went to see my sister) we didn't fight. I was happy he remembered that when I didn't. I think it's just when we have to drive for hours on end.
We did spend too much money... buying all that gear we hardly used. It was supposed to be an investment for future camping trips, but I think it will be hard to get David to ever go camping again. I joked with David that in our older years we'll think we had evacuated a hurricane when we remember this "vacation". Luckily I think he is okay with my plan of retiring to colder Mountains someday. He said he thinks he would love that, as long as it had internet... haha, he didn't even have to say that, it was a given.
No comments:
Post a Comment