Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Endodontist Appointment, Part I

So I kept my appointment and I am glad I did. The Endodontist said I need a root canal...possibly two...but she is going to do it on the one tooth that really needs it, and if later the other tooth needs it, we'll just go from there.

My teeth haven't been hurting for almost two weeks now. She said recurring pain that goes away and comes back is a normal symptom when a root is damaged. When the pain in my teeth had finally started to subside, my whole left jaw hurt, the pained moved to my ear and on the last day only one little tooth (top left) one, that didn't even occur to me could be the source of the problem, hurt when I would eat...even if I chewed on the other side of my mouth.

They did the tests they run through and when they got to the test were they put cold on the teeth, all my teeth reacted quite quickly to the cold...except that top left tooth. I was worried it would give me incredible pain. I never felt the tooth get cold. She said that is a sure sign that the root is damaged. The x-ray was hard to read because my cheekbone was in the way...but she said she is sure I need a root canal. I hope she's right. I had also been on antibiotics when I had the staph infection and my teeth had stopped hurting while on the antibiotic. She said that also tells her there was probably an infection.

Anyway, sorry for the boring teeth updates lol.

2 comments:

the Smiths said...

i haven't been to the dentist in 3 1/2 years so be ready for some of my boring stories in the future. I'm glad they figured it out! After root canal pain you will be back to normal.

Kathy said...

Good thing you kept your appointment! I knew it was probably a root canal issue! Your symptoms just sounded so familiar.

oooh yeah, I remember that cold test! It's really weird.