Monday, November 17, 2008

So Sweet

Well as most people know, I don't drink alcohol. I have many friends and family who do drink and as long as they don't drink and drive I don't hold it against them ;) In other words I don't judge them...though they often feel the need to justify it to me...really I don't think you are a bad person, so don't bother. But I do have my reasons for not drinking and not wanting my spouse to drink, yes religion but also other reasons...

When I first met David (who is not LDS for those of you who don't know) I learned he didn't really drink alcohol either except an occasional glass of wine. But I knew even that would bother me if we were to get married, so right away I asked him if he would mind giving that up. He didn't even hesitate...he told me absolutely he would.

I remember he told me he had told his best friend, after his friend had asked him to come by and sample a new wine he got, that he isn't going to drink anymore because I had asked him not to. AND his friend saw it as a sign that I would be controlling and warned him to break up with me now. So glad he didn't listen to him. But really, if he couldn't give up alcohol for me, then it would be pretty clear what his priorities are.

SO anyway when a special occasion comes around, me and my Mormon self buys a bottle of Sparkling Cider to make it special. Something my family would get at New Years usually. I wasn't sure David really liked the stuff, but perhaps drank it just because I served it to him. But just the other day when we went to the grocery store, knowing the holidays are around the corner, David picked up two bottles of Sparkling Apple Cider. Such a small thing, but it made me so happy because it reminds me of the things he's given up for me and not ever complained, questioned or looked back on and also tells me that He does enjoy the sparkling cider after all!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this! I REALLY love this!

How tender of him!

Kathy said...

I still remember the beginning of y'all's (how Texan am I?) relationship and you asking him to give it up. I always knew David was someone who would be good for you. And this proves it!

We drink Sparking Cider at New Years, too! (or sparkling grape juice cocktail) ... Mostly so the kids can have some and for the women in my family who don't like to drink.

d e e said...

Awww, thanks guys

the Smiths said...

you should already know how wonderful i think sparkling grape juice is...I have already bought/drank four bottles last month. i also think david is wonderful and so are you

d e e said...

Thank you Ki

And four bottles? Saving it for a special occasion I see...