Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Day 2008

So much fun! We had a great day today. It started for me at 2 in the a.m. when Violet woke up. Then I fed her and she tossed and turned in the bed with us until 5:30 when she really was active. She has been teething so...yeah. around 6:30 after drifting in and out of sleep some more, I got up to shower and get ready. David continued to sleep and take care of Violet. Then I started to clean the living room and put Liam's toys away so he might notice the new ones. I packed a ton of his toys (which were scattered all over the living room like it was his own personal playroom) and 'hid' them in Violets room to be rotated next month with other toys.

Then I heard Liam talking because he was awake. I went to get David up. I said "He baby, Liam's awake, do you want to get up now and watch him open his gifts?" not really asking, but you know. David looks at me. blankly. So I repeat myself and he says "oh...yeah", 3 minutes later I go in the room and he hasn't moved. I say "come on David" and go back out again and quickly vacuumed. David still isn't in the living room...so I go to find him. He is fixing to take a shower....so I say "David, I'm gonna get Liam up, do you want to watch him open his gifts? Why are you taking a shower right now?" He says "Oh, I thought we were going to your parents" and I say "yes we are, but we aren't bringing the kids gifts with us!" so finally he comes out, we get the camera and go to get Liam but the camera's tape has run out. So now David has to put a new tape in. So through the door I say "Merry Christmas Liam!" and he says back "Oh, Merry Christmas!" (he has not figured out how to open the door yet, thank goodness). I say through the door "Liam, do you want a present?" and he says "Oh yes" so I say "Liam, do you want two presents?" and he says "Uh-Huh" so I say "Liam, do you want three presents?" and he says "Yes". Finally the tapes in and I let him out. He is so happy but sees the camera and is shy at first.

He had fun opening his gifts. BUT he didn't care at all about his bike...not after he saw his "abc's"...which refers to the Fisher Price "cool school" keyboard we got him. It hooks up to our computer and has reading/writing/art/music and science programs in it. We tried (this is probably terrible of me) but we tried to make him more eager to try his bike, by letting Violet ride on it. Oh no, he was happy to let her ride it, he ran and got his Thomas the Tank Engine Scooting Toy he got yesterday and joined her for a ride around the living room! Hahaa, I am happy he wasn't jealous of her. Also, with the stocking...he did not care for the chocolates I put in there...though he did like the Jelly Belly's.

Finally I get him on the bike by showing him the special compartment in the back that can hold all of his little things he likes to carry around. After that, he was willing to sit on it. But then he just started filling the comparment and then emptying it again, then filling it up etc.

Then we headed out to Grandma and Grandpa's for Christmas breakfast. We arrived by 8:50 and David got to work making the waffles, while my dad made pancakes, sausage and bacon. Liam was happy and trying to get at the presents under the tree and bringing them to me. And checking out the tree too...since we didn't get one this year. Then his cousins Maya and Emily arrived and he was so happy to see them. He said "Merry Christmas" to Maya and tried to hug her. He kept talking to her and soon they were playing together and opening their gifts. Violet rolled around in the wrapping paper the whole time.

Liam and Viiolet got a Word World DVD! Woot woot. A light sketcher, and a musical guitar. And some jammies from their aunt/uncle Palumbo. My brothers and sister also made lots of baked goodies for everyone. Connor and Jen made a basket full of stuff, including peanut brittle and homemade Jalepeno jelly. Ryan and Amber made individual yummy cranberry bread loafs. Laura baked some delicious chocolate chip cookies.

SO funny, I had brought a sorry little plate of Christmas cookies that "I" made...from frozen packages of store bought dough...well the ginger bread men I made from a mix ;)...my mom graciously said thank you and set it on the piano with the other baked goods...I wish I had a picture of this. My mom had made a gorgeous and gigantic array of homemade cookies that were so completely beautiful and fancy looking. My little plate looked so pathetic next to it...I mean like setting a tired piece of dried up fishstick next to Crispy crab cakes & shrimp sautéed & braised in a beurre blanc melange reduction of shallots, white wine, capers, cream & Spanish saffron.

Of course I didn't take a picture because I didn't remember to bring my camera! Which is funny because for my Christmas and birthday...which is next month... gift combo (I never mind those, can't believe people complain about them), David is going to buy me a Canon Rebel. Woot. I better get into the swing of picture taking again. But I won't get that gift until probably around April...

For Violet we got her a baby Stella doll, a wooden snail puzzle that is for 3 year olds lol, and a soft princess taggies book. I got David a throw blanket because he loves blankets and likes the house cold so he can have blankets on him. And a Hickory Farms gift box.

My parents got me/us...a house coat. If you know me, you will know that I love things like house coats lol. And David, so cute, loves them on me :) They also got us 100 hour candles (3 of them), a huge tub of granola and a MRE so I can try it out and order them for our emergency supply.

It was so wonderful being with the family. When we got home we all took a FOUR hour nap! It was so wonderful, and much needed. Liam woke up happy and ready to play some more. Violet rolled around once more amoung the wrapping paper and gifts, she was playing with her taggies book and hugging her doll...that Liam kept taking from her and giving the doll a kiss and then putting away.

David then went to help his brother move some furniture around for their annual LAN party...and when he got back I went to hang out with my sister Laura and watch this show we like. That's it. Very detailed as is my way.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

wow! sounds like you guys had a great day!! I'm amazed you were VACUUMING BEFORE liam got up!! you are crazy!!

d e e said...

Wellll you wouldn't be so amazed if you saw the state of the living room before he got up! Lol