Monday, December 15, 2008

This Was Upsetting...

This morning I was watching Super Why with my son Liam. And they (the Super Why kids) wanted to know why Santa Claus gives gifts on Christmas. I was very interested to see how they would answer this question. Santa told them that when he was little he enjoyed making gifts and giving them to his friends and family, it made him so happy that soon he started to give them out to everyone. This is essentially saying that Christmas is about Santa Claus giving out gifts. It never mentions the celebration of the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It's PBS so I wasn't completely surprised.

I remember a few years ago when stores tried to replace the word Christmas with the word Holiday to be more politically correct... even though they expect Religion to stay out of the State, they don't think it should work both ways? Well it didn't work, it was upsetting to many who do celebrate Christmas as it was intended to be...a celebration of Jesus Christs birth. It was a slap in the face for this holiday stimulates the economy and brings in a ton of revenue to the States, the least they can do is show some respect.

Well this show used the word Christmas...but they are trying to change the meaning of the word Christmas. Very sneaky.

Christmas has such a joyous spirit about it that I think even people who don't believe want to be apart of it...at the same time they expect the believers to change the meaning to make it more comfortable for them, it's not about celebrating the birth of our Savior, it's about giving and receiving gifts. No thanks. They know 'they' aren't going to change our minds, so instead they work on our children's minds, I suppose 'they' are hoping the parents aren't paying attention to the show.

If they take Jesus out of Christmas, I really believe that the spirit of the season would never be the same. Can you imagine if Christians tried to change the meaning of another religion's holiday? Perhaps it's time to take Santa Claus out of Christmas? I will perhaps teach my kids the legend of Saint Nicholas, how he got intertwined with the US's celebration of Christmas... but that he is not the staple of Christmas for our family. This might be surprising to some readers, but I won't teach them that he is living today, bringing toys to them...I want to always be honest with them, if I expect them to have hope and faith in our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, I don't want to confuse them by lying to them about a fictional Santa Claus flying around and dropping down Chimneys. As a kid, I never really believed Santa Claus was real, David told me he never did either...So needless to say, David agrees with me on this too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's so sad. Couldn't they just have said, some people believe in Jesus Christ, and some people believe that....

You know, explain the different beliefs.

That's the truth anyway.

That is upsetting!

RAINEY said...

So at our ward's christmas party they had the bishopric as the three wise men handing out stuff for the kiddos, which they did in houston as well, anyways, it was the first time i realized that it was instead of santa, like when we were kids. i guess i'm a little slow, but when did they start doing that? and what a great idea! we saw santa at my work party the next day!

the Smiths said...

I don't think I have seen a Christmas special this year that even mentioned Jesus Christ only Santa.