Thursday, December 1, 2011

* World's Best French Toast


* according to David who is extremely picky and doesn't hand out food compliments often... and it's usually "it's pretty good"... so "world's best" was quite unexpected.

I can't take credit... I got it here at cooks.com. Below is my slightly modified version... modified in that I made less and cooked it a tad longer.

6 slices of Texas Toast
1/4 c. butter
1/3 cup of milk plus 2 and 2/3 tablespoons of milk (which is about half of a third cup if you want to eyeball it)
3 eggs
1/3 cup of sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
dash of vanilla
dash of salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter in 9 x 13 pan in oven while it's preheating, it will only take a few minutes to melt, pull it out once it's melted so the butter doesn't burn. Mix sugar and cinnamon and than sprinkle evenly into melted butter pan. Mix eggs, milk, salt, and vanilla. Dip bread on both sides, soaking well and lay in the pan. Bake at 400 degree oven for about 20 - 25 minutes. Let stand 1 minute. Lift out sugar side up on serving platter.

I should note that I didn't use all of the cinnamon/sugar... I maybe used a bit more than half.

The cinnamon/sugar/butter mixture will caramelize on one side of the french toast giving it a delicious sweet chewy side, the center will be fluffy, the other side will toasty but plain which I find is a nice break in the sweetness... but some people like to add more cinnamon/sugar mixture to that side or butter and some add powered sugar or fresh fruit or syrup etc... whatever suits you.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I am trying this Saturday!

d e e said...

Let me know how you like it!

the Smiths said...

I am thinking for Christmas eve breakfast in my house and I can't wait!