Friday, February 17, 2012

Journal Topic #14

When I Was Baptized:

In my church a child can choose to get baptized after the age of 8 years old, but not before. 8 years old is an age where children are most likely to know right from wrong and be held accountable for their choices. Also at this age a child should be able to grasp the importance of our Savior Jesus Christ and the commitment they are making and also how to repent when they (inevitably) make a mistake. Children younger than this, we believe are innocent and incapable of sinning as they are still learning right from wrong. I was very excited for my 8th birthday and for the opportunity to be baptized. My dad, a worthy priesthood holder, was to perform the baptism.

One month after I turned 8 the day came. I was very excited. I remember feeling like it was a very special day. Members of my family came out and dressed nicely for the occasion. There was an opening prayer, songs were sung. Talks given on the symbolism of baptism, of being "buried", the death of a life with no hope because of sin and than reborn in Christ, a new life dedicated to serving God by serving His children. It is also symbolic of death and resurrection. The speaker explained the promises we make at Baptism and what God gives to us in return; We promise to take upon ourselves the name of Jesus Christ (meaning "you see yourself as His. You put Him and His work first in your life. You seek what He wants rather than what you want or what the world teaches you to want"), you also promise to keep His commandments, and serve Him forever. I was taught that in return there would be special promised blessings from the Lord. He will bless me for my faithfulness, one of those important blessings is the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, He gives me a promise for the remission of my sins as I seek to repentance, and the wonderful privilege of being spiritually reborn (John 3:5). There was a talk on the confirmation that would be done after the baptism, confirmation is symbolic of being baptized by "fire" by receiving the Holy Ghost (Matt. 3:11, Luke 3:16).

I dressed in a thick white jumpsuit and entered the baptismal font. The water was warm and felt really nice. I saw my dad already there, also in a white jumpsuit, waiting for me. He said these special words: "Diana Eileen Delaney, Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen." Then I grabbed his arm, his other hand went behind my neck, my other hand I grabbed my nose and he submersed me into the water. There were two witnesses standing outside of the baptismal font to make sure I went all the way into the water. Also my family members were there for support. I was only down long enough to be fully submersed than pulled right back up.

When I was brought up out of the water I had the most beautiful feeling. I have had 4 really spiritual moments in my life that have helped build my testimony in God and Christ, moments that no matter what the world says about my religion, I know what I felt and what I know to be good and true. The first one was my baptism. I remember the feeling very clearly. I remember thinking how true this must be if I could feel this pure, peaceful, good, happy. It's a feeling that came deep within and nobody could force on me or take away from me. So when somebody tells me I'm not really a Christian because whatever misinformation they have about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, whatever lies have been fed to them, I know that I am a Christian and I love my Savior Jesus Christ with all of my heart.

No comments: