Monday, February 6, 2012

Journal Topic #7

Visiting a Foreign Country:

I love traveling to other Countries. David likes the idea, but not much of a traveler himself. Before I got married, before I even met David I went to England by myself to visit with an aunt who lived out there. She was in the middle of moving but was nice enough to let me visit. I helped them pack up the house to move and in return (besides feeding and sheltering me) she took me to London to spend the day and later surprised me with a trip to Paris, France for two days! The trip was amazing. And in Paris I met Leonardo DiCaprio on top of the Eiffel Tower. But that's a story for another day. Paris had amazingly delicious food and I would love to go back someday... I hope my father in law goes with us as he speaks French fluently and it might make for an easier trip.

Also about 6 years ago I went with my friend Lisa, her cousin Janice, and Janice's mother-in-law Beverly to Italy. I was married to David at this time, but he let me go as a graduation present to me as I was soon to be graduating college after 9 years of attending. He told me I was never allowed to travel to another Country without him again. I agree of course, don't want to be without him... but so grateful I got to go with these lovely and fun ladies.

We stopped in Rome, Florence, and Venice. Florence being my favorite stop. I was very newly pregnant with Liam at the time, morning sickness hadn't kicked yet... not until Venice that is. The thing that really sucked was I had to pee every hour to two hours. One time I cried because I didn't want to ask everyone to stop AGAIN so I could pee. First of all, I blame the hormones for the crying. But I felt like I was ruining the trip. Every time we stopped we had to buy something in order to use their disgusting toilets. I remember Lisa getting annoyed at me for crying about it... she insisted that it was okay if I had to stop to pee. Janice and Beverly said it was great, we got to eat a lot of Gelato.

Rome has lots of history, amazing art and the Vatican of course. Food was okay... I did have some food aversion thanks to the pregnancy and had no desire for the pizza :( or most of the food in Rome... I ate, just didn't enjoy it... at least not until Florence. The drivers in Rome were crazy and I think someone (was it Janice or Lisa?) got hit by a passing car, it hit her arm or something.

Florence had the nicest people, awesome art and cathedrals, and amazing food. Oh I loved the food there. No food aversion in Florence.



Venice smells soooo bad... especially with my pregnant nose that could smell everything. It smelled like rotten sewage to me. I don't know how the other ladies felt about the smell. I tried not to show it, but I had a constant headache and nausea... it did make me a bit moody. Venice is such a unique city that I am glad I got to experience it despite feeling ill. I'll always remember trying to find this restaurant that Lisa had heard about on Rick Steve's show on Venice. Can't remember the name of it though... anyhow we walk in. I looked quite stylish in my walking shoes and frumpy clothes, while everyone else was dressed very nicely. Everyone stared at us while we waited for a table. Then they took us upstairs. We sat down and were pretty shocked about the prices of the restaurant. The cheapest thing on the menu was the soup which cost something like €25 Euros... about $32 Us Dollars. FOR A BOWL OF SOUP! I went all out and spent nearly $100 for a plate of shrimp and risotto. They were okay, but not $100 okay. It was an experience though.

The way home was awful. We changed planes 2 or 3 times (hazy memory) and I was throwing up nearly the entire time... I think it was over 8 hours to get back, I could be wrong... and the first plane I didn't actually throw up until I got off of it. Morning sickness had definitely kicked in.

Glad I had those experiences before I had my babies. And I'm glad that my new travel adventures will include my babies.
Here are a few pics from my travels. Excuse the poor quality... pic. of a picture for quicker upload (it's hard to be patient when you have three kids who want your attention). I had a lot of scenery but thought I'd spare you.

LONDON. Photo 1: My aunt "hoping" the wall to this castle Photo 2: Meeting the look-a-like Queen of England Photo 3: Me on the train going back to my aunts home, all touristy. Photo 4: Another Touristy photo.






PARIS. Photo 1: I think I'm standing in line for the Louvre Museum... not 100% but the two things we did that day was the Louvre and Eiffel Tower... I think. Photo 2: Me and Leonardo DiCaprio on top of the Eiffel Tower.




ITALY. Photo 1: Enjoying a Gelato (one of many, this flavor was tiramisu). Photo 2: At a restaurant in Florence, where we met Franco (I think was his name) our waiter who happened to LOVE Texas :) He had all sorts of Texas stuff to prove it Photo 3: Lisa and I, enjoying some delicious food... must have been Florence still. Photo 4: me and Lisa again, this time in Venice. Photo 5: Lisa took a picture of me drawing some statues in a museum... I don't remember if it was Rome or Florence. Photo 6: Florence for sure. I don't know what this desert was made of... some sort of cream and chocolate. It was the best desert I've ever had ever. Photo 7: Me and Janice trying to figure out the map... I wasn't any help.







1 comment:

Janice Z. said...

I remember this trip well and loved reading your blog about it. A trip down memory lane.