Saturday, October 25, 2008

Carving Pumpkins

When I had bought pumpkins earlier this month and brought them home;
David said: "What are the pumpkins for, eating"?
Me: "Ha, no we are going to carve them and set them outside for decoration"
David: "Have you ever even carved pumpkins before"?
Me snickering: "Yes, of course I have"...then dawning on me..."WAIT, haven't YOU"?
David: "No"
Me in disbelief: "Never"?
David: "Nope"
Me: "wait...really"?
David: "Really"

Today we finally carved the pumpkins. His turned out great, and I daresay he was proud of his jack-o-lantern. He did Jack Skellington from "The Nightmare Before Christmas". Of course I cleaned out the pumpkins, I figured he wouldn't enjoy that part too much...need to break him in slowly to these things.

I have since learned he has never dyed Easter eggs either... These are usually things I do every year, but haven't since we got married. First two years of our marriage I was too busy with school...using all, if any, creative juices I had. And then the third year... with a new baby and a small apartment the prospect of carving pumpkins or dying Easter eggs just did not appeal to me. We can check carving pumpkins off of the list, the egg dying we will check off this Easter.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

I've never (to my recollection...) carved a pumpkin before. I've decorated a pumpkin (like, painted it and glued stuff on it) but never carved one. ... probably cause it includes the use of knives and stuff.

I have dyed eggs before. Haven't in years, but at least that's something I've done!

You should post pictures of your pumpkins!

d e e said...

You should be an expert with knives...at least x-acto knives! What with cutting so much paper and what not...besides you use pumpkin carving "knives"...hard to hurt yourself on those!

I think once in elementary school I painted a pumpkin...when we were old enough my mom always let us carve them, but we had to clean them out ourselves!

Kathy said...

Yeah, but knowing my family, we wouldn't go out and spend money for pumpkin carving tools. And cut paper is different from carving a pumpkin! Flat v. 3 dimensions!

Anyway, I'm trying to convince some of my cousins to have a pumpkin carving party and maybe we can make it an annual event! Too bad it's probably too late to have such a party. Next year!

d e e said...

Haha, I've hurt myself when cutting paper several times...I even stepped on an x-acto knife and had to get stitches in my foot (right before block...remember that?), but I have never cut myself from carving a pumpkin!

It's not too late for a carving party, not until Saturday! And the supplies will be cheaper now too.

Kathy said...

I REMEMBER THAT! Your story was classic!

We'll see. It depends on everyone else’s schedule, etc. It would be kind of lame to have it the saturday after halloween. (If halloween fell on a saturday, that would have been better.)

Maybe I’ll buy the supplies now and then save them for next year, at least! Incentive to throw a party next year, too!

Lindsay said...

Poor David!! My family puts on a "pumpkin carving contest" every year. The kids paint theirs and put stickers and such on them. This year I carved a "Palin Pumpkin"... But, I do have to say, my husband hasn't carved too many in his lifetime either!