Sunday, October 12, 2008

Liam Update: 2 Years

How blessed mine and Davids lives have been these past two years. To have such a wonderful little boy who brings so much joy to our home!

He is learning so much in ways of speaking. He constantly repeats what we say when we are talking, as his way of learning. I love it. It makes me smile. He does it the most when we are explaining why he shouldn't do something. Like when he drew all over the dining room wall with a marker and mama said "this is a no-no, we do not draw on the wall, only on paper", he repeated while I was talking "no-no, do not draw wall, paper". Then he tried to help me clean it...unfortunately it was not coming off. He had also drawn on the kitchen cabinets, which he showed to me by pointing and saying very sternly "no-no!" then he took the magic eraser sponge thingy said "thank you mommy" and proceeded to clean the cabinets. I was very happy with him. At least those wiped clean...unlike the walls.

If you were wondering what I was doing while he was drawing on the walls, I was feeding Violet...and he was being very quiet so I kept saying "Liam, what are you doing? Are you being good?" and he would say "uh-huh".

Later he said "NO-NO", again...then he came to get me, pulled me by the hand to the family room. Said "NO-NO mommy" again, while pointing to the back of the couch...which had some marker on it and he proceeded to clean that up with a bunch of baby wipes he had pulled out. I told him "that's right, that's a no-no...paper only". I didn't get mad because that marker was from a few months ago! Lol.

On his birthday David and I were so excited to wake him up, so we went to listen at his door to see if he was stirring inside...he was. So we opened the door and started to sing Happy Birthday. He smiled. Then we surprised him with a birthday balloon...which he spent the rest of the morning playing with. David and I were busy preparing the house for guests and this made us have to ignore our little birthday boy...which made him very moody. He kept whining and crying about his balloon...he wanted it freed from the weight that was on it, but then when David freed it, Liam kept letting the string go so it would float to the ceiling...then he'd whine some more for David to get it down. Finally David removed the little ribbon and put on a long, heavy piece of yarn...this allowed Liam to toss the balloon up, but the string was heavy enough to bring it back down to him. Very smart.

Around 10:30 we put Liam down for a nap since family would be arriving at 12. People came, pizzas arrived, we started eating and visiting. Then we sang happy birthday. I had made 2 dozen chocolate cupcakes, half with chocolate frosting and half with vanilla frosting both with rainbow sprinkles on top. Liam had a big smile on his face for the singing. He tried his best to blow out the candles...he tried the whole time we were singing in fact. Finally at the end of the song, his cousin Xavier (who turned 2 a few months before) blew them out perfectly! Liam ate his cupcake with his face, no hands. It gave him a little goatee and mustache. My camera is out of batteries of course, and we are out of video tape...makes me sad when we miss taping these moments...especially with both babies growing up so fast. David's mom took some pictures with her camera at least.

Then I tried my best to get him to open his gifts. His cousins helped him out! He showed little interest until he opened the gift from my sister Laura...it contains letters, lowercase ones with wooden puzzle boards that have cut outs of, for example, b o a t and a picture of a boat, so the little letters fit inside. He still loves the alphabet. He has been carrying that toy around since, and has actually refrained from scattering the letters all over the house.

He also got 2 pairs of new shoes and 4 shirts from David's parents...Tata and Boo. A cool truck toy that has wheels that wind up and then go over anything and practically up the wall, that was from his Uncle Connor. A Berenstein Bears Halloween book from his Tio Ken and Tia Abby. His cousins Goku and Xavier (and Tia Eileen and Tio Adam) got him a medley of stuff including a hand made card from Goku, frog stickers, giant balloons with those rubber bands on the end so you can hit them fast against your fists...he tried to take those with him to bed tonight! haha. Also candy m&m's and a big box of Nerds (David said "hey look, a bunch of me's in a box" haha, he's so cute. His Aunt Amber and Uncle Ryan got him a boat bath toy. My mom and dad (grandma and grandpa) got him a Sit and Spin! He was really getting into that one last night. He can't work it quite right yet, but he stands on it and spins it just a little bit side to side...not all the way around yet. Everyone was really generous and I hope I didn't leave anybody out.

David and I got him "The Emperors New Grove" DVD, a ton of playdough with tools...will open that to play with tomorrow. A Berenstein Bears Go To The Doctor book to go along with a new doctor kit...hint hint Liam! LOL, this is sort of true, I will be proud of him no matter what career he chooses someday as long as it makes him happy (and is legal)...but I want him to know that he can be whatever he wants to be and to set his sights high.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

aww! Sounds like a wonderful 2nd birthday! Can't believe he's already 2!!!

I had one of those sit-and-spin things when I was a kid! It was fun until the dizzy part set in.

GOOD CALL ON "Emperor's New Groove" !!!

And p.s. the doctor kit thing doesn't always work. I had a doctor kit when I was a kid ... I played with it ... but watch how I protested all throughout high school and college ... :-) I bet Liam will be good at whatever he chooses!

d e e said...

Ahaha, yes but you have lots of family in the medical profession as it is...you wanted to set yourself apart.