Friday, October 3, 2008

Violet Update: 4 Months

Violet turned 4 months old yesterday. She is soooo sweet. I say that every post but it's the best way to describe her personality. She smiles all of the time. This really cute smile that scrunches up her nose and gives her sunshine-y eyes. I love waking up and cuddling with her for an hour while she just gives you smile after smile, never getting tired of it.

I have started transitioning her to sleep in her crib in her own room...but she always wakes up around 1 a.m. screaming her head off for as long as it takes for me to go get her. I should soothe her but not pick her up or cuddle for 5 minutes and put her back down. But no, I bring her to our bed then nurse her until we both fall asleep. Not a good habit. I never did that with Liam, and he has a perfect sleep schedule and always has. But he was easy to transition because he was an independent baby, while she loves loves loves to be held. She takes her afternoon nap in her crib without any problems, but her morning and later evening naps have to be in her swing or she just cries.

She plays well on the floor, but hasn't been rolling back to front or front to back since last month. She has started to scoot forward when she is on her tummy, she'll push hard with her little feet. She doesn't get too far yet.

Liam loves her so much, he says 'oh no baby cry' when she cries. I breastfeed her directly now, but still occasionally pump milk if she sleeps through a feeding or when we go to Church. When I have those bottles for her, Liam insists on feeding her. He will give her a little, put the bottle up, run and get a big towel to wipe the little bit of milk she might have around her mouth, then run to put the towel back, then feed her more...etc. the cycle is never ending until I have to say...'Ok, let's just let her finish eating now', or 'I don't think she is hungry anymore'.

The other day I was playing with her and she was talking loudly. She always babbles so loudly, and sucks in air and gasps. Liam found it hilarious and started to crack up laughing. I realized that by 4 months he was laughing all of the time. I've only heard her laugh out loud (while awake) once. Mainly she just smiles and talks. After some time of playing with her and talking to her, Liam appears next to us with a binky (pacifier) in his mouth and a baby rattle in his hand and he starts to shake it. Then he climbs next to me to snuggle. It was really cute, he is still a little guy afterall.

Violet doesn't care for binky's, but has found her thumb and sucks it all of the time. I've tried to get her to use the pacifier, but she really doesn't like it. She'll spit it out and then put her thumb in her mouth. It is so cute...I just hope it doesn't become a hard habit to break like it is for some... When she cries Liam will run over with a binky to try to soothe her...it's so cute, he'll open his mouth wide because that's what he wants her to do, and if she isn't taking it, then he'll hold her forehead and try to smoosh it into her mouth. It doesn't seem to bother her so I don't make a big deal about it, she acutally stops crying when he does this.

I was in the kitchen the other day doing some dishes and she was in her bouncy seat when she starts to cry. I say "Hold on baby" but not long after she stops crying. I go to feed her and I see that she has a blanket that she didn't have before, her little doll I hadn't given to her and Liam next to her talking to her and giving her kisses and she just looks at him and smiles.

2 comments:

the Smiths said...

aww i miss your babies even violet whom i haven't met.

Kathy said...

it is so awesome that big brother Liam loves Violet so much!!!

(I've always wanted an older brother!)